Frank Benson: Etchings, Drypoints, Lithographs and Prints (COLLECTOR'S)
Frank W. Benson founded the school of the American sporting print and he is acknowledged to be the most accomplished artist ever to work in this genre. Furthermore, as a draughtsman, as a designer and as a technician in the use of the etcher's needle and the drypointist's burin, he has few equals among artists. Mr. Benson also produced several noteworthy stone lithographs and authorized prints to be made of a number of his wash drawings.
Frank W. Benson: Etchings, Drypoints, Lithographs and Prints, a revised and augmented version of Mr. Ordeman's earlier Benson catalogue, is a completely illustrated catalogue raisonné of Mr. Benson's works in all of these media.
This 520-page volume also contains:
- A critical biography of the artist
- Benson's instructional essay "What Is an Etching?"
- An essay comparing Benson paintings and prints of similar subjects
- Commentary on two previously uncataloged Benson etchings
- A bibliography of books on Benson
- A list of catalogs of Benson exhibitions
- A list of books with Benson illustrations
- Alphabetical and chronological list of all Benson prints
- Original etchings by Gordon Allen and Paul Niemiec, print-makers in the Benson tradition, together with their tribute essays to Mr. Benson.
Signed and numbered with two signed, limited edition intaglio prints, leather finish hardcover with tipped-on print on front cover, gold foil stamping and gilt edging housed in a leather finish gold stamped slipcase. Included with this edition are two original signed, limited edition prints: Gordon Allen’s etching Benson and Guide and Paul Niemiec’s drypoint Decoy Spread.
John Ordeman is a noted sporting art historian. His career has spanned decades and his published articles, books and essays are used not only for reading value, but are considered a important resource to assess, value and chronicle fine sporting art.
Leather Finish Hardcover in Leather Finish Gold Stamped Slipcase with Gold Foil Stamping, Gilt Edges. Includes 2 limited edition etchings inspired by Frank Benson by artists, Gordon Allen and Paul W. Niemiec, Jr.